11.23.2008

a shadowbox winter

I've said this a few times a few times to a few people this week, but I'll say it again: It's been a really hard week. My company laid off several employees on tuesday thru thursday and dropped the majority of the remaining to part time. It was so hard saying goodbye to the friends that I've made and have enjoyed working with on a daily basis. I've felt sadness this week like I haven't experienced in a long time and it's not all work related. I've felt restless the past few weeks and feel like the firm hand of God is moving in my life in a way I haven't experienced in a long time. It's been hard but very good.

I've heard friends talk about how unstable they feel right now with fear in their voices and hands clasping tightly in hopes that they can keep their world from changing. But if there's one thing I've learned from this past year of financial worries, and housing issues, and the economy, and job uncertainty is that I as much as I want to act like I know what's going to happen, I have no clue -much less any control. I'm just amazed and discouraged sometimes by the ways we as Christians, myself included, can avoid dealing with the real issues and try and make things feel better than they are by repackaging the truth in a watered down form that's easier to swallow. especially when God has so much more Joy for us than we could ever imagine if we just let go.

I'm so grateful for Mitch and Kathy Jackson. I feel like we have experienced true community with them in new ways that directly stem from their willingness to be open to what change God may have for their life. Their friendship is more precious than gold to us and I don't think we'll ever be able to repay them for the multitude of ways God has blessed us with their servant hearts.

VA and I have been processing a lot lately in our preparations for this little one who we're so excited to welcome into our world. I pray for him daily that he will be healthy and grow strong and most importantly develop a relationship with the God of the Universe who is forming him in Virginia's womb as we speak. My son, I look forward to showing you His beauty in the Ozark mountains, His expanse in the Atlantic Ocean, His imagination in the ever changing sky, and His great Love which is found in the Word, and in the value of friendship, and in the commitment of his parents, and in the cold winter nights when Orion is pointing you home.

4 comments:

Stephen Hunton 24/11/08 8:35 AM  

love the last paragraph...beautiful writing as always.

Anonymous,  26/11/08 3:11 PM  

awww...thanks! we love and appreciate you guys, too!

Anonymous,  29/11/08 11:28 PM  

praying for you

Chris and Carrie 14/12/08 10:07 PM  

So beautiful and true. I have been meditating on this verse today...
"Set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed..." 1 Peter 1:13
Simple instruction about Hope.

Love you guys.

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP