2.25.2009

Ashes

We sang this song this morning at the weekly chapel at Wycliffe. Today is Ash Wednesday, and although I've never really officially observed the Lenten season, I've been thinking about a lot of things related to Easter and its significance in my life lately. I've been thinking about the purpose of pain, the purpose of difficult seasons in life. Our culture does everything it can to medicate and "cure," fix, and mask periods of pain and hurt in our lives. But sometimes it seems like there's a bigger picture going on. I don't like hurting, I don't like pain, but I understand that sometimes it really is okay to feel and experience pain in our lives.

I'm thinking of all of this in light of the event that's fast approaching...bringing our baby boy into the world. There are so many thoughts I have about this, but this song touched my heart today and I wanted to share it with you. Especially the last verse...

"...from life's first cry to final breath, Jesus commands my destiny..."



In Christ Alone
by Stewart Townsend and Keith Getty

In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm
What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My Comforter, my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand

In Christ alone, who took on flesh
Fullness of God in helpless babe
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones He came to save
‘Til on that cross as Jesus died
The wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Him was laid
Here in the death of Christ I live

There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave He rose again
And as He stands in victory
Sin’s curse has lost its grip on me
For I am His and He is mine
Bought with the precious blood of Christ

No guilt of life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From life’s first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
‘til He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I’ll stand

*Disclaimer...Newsboys sings this song on their album "Adoration"...there are many other videos on Youtube that play their version, which is really good too. This video features one of the co-writers of the song on the piano.

4 comments:

cherry 26/2/09 8:57 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendi Cupp 27/2/09 7:54 AM  

Loved your post and I LOVE the words to this song. It's one of my new favorites lately. I'm doing a study of David (Anointed, Transformed, Redeemed by Pricilla Shire, Beth Moore, Kay Arthur) and Beth Moore made note of this song just yesterday too. That last stanza is powerful. If you ever get a chance or need a powerful study (much on what you mentioned in the first paragraph of your post), this study is AWESOME. Praying for you guys in your last weeks as just the two of you before Baby Steger arrives! What an exciting time! Hugs!

Rebekah 27/2/09 10:39 AM  

This is my FAVORITE song- EVER!!! It has such beautiful words and meaningful ones as we approach the Easter season. It also took a dimension after Flint's mom passed away. Thank you for this post. I really loved what you had to say. I, like you, do not like pain and am facing one of the biggest (no, make that THE biggest fears) of my life- Childbirth and Parenting. Though I am so excited I can hardly see straight, I am so scared, too! But, I know that the Lord gives us these as a blessing. Pain is a way of drawing us closer to Him and so is parenting. Being a mommy and daddy only gives us an earthly perspective of how much He loves us! Praying for you!

Anonymous,  5/3/09 9:36 AM  

Good Word. It's funny the change in focus having a child can bring. I'm excited for ya'll. It's a lot of fun (and a ton of work, not much sleep, and plenty of frustrating moments -- I can't yet comment past toddler age , though. With all of it, it's more fun than any of those other things. But, I do really wish one of ours would give up and finely start pooping in the potty, though. She's stubborn like her old man.).

Kyle M.

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP