2.26.2008

Life and Death

My uncle died on Friday morning. I just spent the weekend with my family, celebrating and mourning him, and right now I’m in the airport flying back to Orlando. The weekend was full…in a “my cup runneth over” sort of way, and I need to write. I need to remember this weekend.

I was continually reminded of John Piper’s book “Don’t Waste Your Life.” My Uncle, Dr. John R. Williamson, lived his life this way. Ophthalmologist in El Dorado, Arkansas for exactly 30 years, he saw over 375,000 patients and performed over 13,000 surgeries. He retired the day he found out about his diagnosis, July 2, 2007, at the age of 64. Although I knew him, and knew the type of man he was, I learned more this weekend about the impact he had on this small town of 25,000 people. I also feel a deep appreciation and love for my family and thankfulness for our story.

The weekend was full of hugs and laughter and prayers and tears. One minute I was laughing and goofing off with my sisters, and the next, we were sitting at the ceremony with tears streaming down our faces. I’m struck with the cycle of life, and the enduring hope that exists when we trust in Christ and live life for Him.

Some highlights of the weekend:

  • Quality time with my family: parents, sisters, grandparents, aunt, cousins and their families. Such great conversation over meals (nothing brings us together like beef brisket and chocolate cake).
  • Listening to my Poppa tell WWII stories for an hour on Saturday night. After decades of his silence about the war, we are ever grateful that he is able to talk about his experience, to pass these stories on to us. When listening to him tell these stories, we hear his heart and the depth of his commitment to our country, our family, and to the Lord. It is clear why their generation is called the Greatest Generation. I cherish his legacy.
  • Laughing with my sisters, I love them so much!
  • Celebrating my Uncle. Visitation, meeting the staff from his clinic, reading about how the town honored him, going to the cemetery, walking in as family to honor him and support my aunt and cousins.

From an early age, we were confronted with the reality of life and death. I’m thankful for the way my family deals with it, surrounding each other, crying together, and celebrating life together. It was a good weekend.

“Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning, new mercies I see.
All I have needed, Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me.

“Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine with ten thousand beside!”

2 comments:

Brett 26/2/08 5:28 PM  

I prayed for you and your family this weekend. God is good in the midst of trial!

khunton 29/2/08 10:08 AM  

sorry to hear of your loss! but bless to hear of your faithfulness and the legacy passed to you that you will pass to your children! sweet blessings, friend!

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP