1.17.2007

Blue Letter Bible

Well, I guess technically we should have all made our new years resolutions by now, if we’re going to. :) I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the typical questions you ask yourself around this time of year…Who am I? Who do I want to be? What is it going to take to get me there? There are a lot of great things that happened this past year, but to be honest, most of the answers to these questions center around the things I feel…well…less than great about. I know I can be hard on myself…but I also know that I rarely take a serious, realistic look at where I am, how I got here, and how these things hinder my walk with God (and my relationships with people around me). Bad attitudes, bitterness about things that I’ve let creep into my heart, lack of discipline, lack of faith about the future, friendships that I have let fade away. I know I am still in the process of seeing how these things come out in my life…but they are there…and they need to go away!

All this to say, I have a renewed vision for getting into God’s Word on a regular basis. I know it is the source for knowing God better, and He is the source of freedom from the things that hold me back. I don’t like making “resolutions,” because I never really keep them, but I feel the need for a plan as I get back into a regular habit of actually reading the Bible.

I don’t feel a guilt trip about this…I feel inspired to get into the Word. I feel inspired that I have God’s Word in a language I can understand. I have learned that there are over 300 million people in the world that don’t even have one version of the Bible in a language they can understand. What a gift His Word is to us.

I have found Blue Letter Bible. This is a great site for Bible reference materials, different versions of the Bible for cross-referencing, etc, and different Daily Devotional Readings. I love this since I sit at a desk all day, all of the reference material I could need are just a click away. So, I’ve signed up to receive a Daily Bible Reading. I am going through the Bible Chronologically, in one year…and I’ve chosen the option of “Accountability” so that I don’t get behind. Plus, I can see the percentage of the Bible I’ve read.

I’d love to know your thoughts…and I’d love to challenge you to commit to reading the Bible more regularly. Leave me a comment, or send me an email. To get to the Daily Bible Readings on blueletterbible.org, Click “Devotionals” on the Sidebar, then scroll down to Daily Bible Reading Programs.

3 comments:

John Nelson 17/1/07 9:59 PM  

Very cool! I've used Blue Letter Bible for a lot of research/bible study preparation, but haven't seen the accountable bible reading portion. That's a cool idea.

Hope things are going well for you in the big FL.

anje 19/1/07 11:58 AM  

Even if it takes more than a year to read through, it is a worthwhile undertaking. GO GIRL!

Stephen Hunton 22/1/07 3:59 PM  

great post...I signed up for a couple of the New Living devos...thanks!

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP