2.04.2005

Walking by Grace

Oh to grace, how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be.
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandring heart to Thee.

The words of that sweet old hymn have been in my mind all week. Do you ever have those moments when you know you’re at a real crossroads? The Lord gently brings you face to face with what you’re dealing with, you realize your view of Him isn’t big enough, and you’re forced to ask Him, “Is Your grace sufficient enough to cover this?”

I think we, as humans, like to have a back-up plan. We like to say, “God, if you do this for me, it would be really great, but I understand if you don’t...it’s not that big of a deal, and You’re still God.” We lower our expectations of God, saying we just don’t want to get our hopes up, more or less expecting that He’s not going to answer us. Either the answer doesn’t come as quickly as we expected, or we explain it away, saying that our request was insignificant. We move on to try to figure it out ourselves. Very rarely do we risk it all...saying, “You’re my only hope, Father. If You don’t come through for me, then I have no where else to go.” I see this in my life...and I know truly it is just a lack of faith. How would I ever know that He is faithful to me if I don’t open my heart and risk it for Him?

I’ve been feeling that way all week, really struggling emotionally with my will (and stubborn pride) and what it means to “give it to God and let Him handle it.” He says His grace is sufficient, but what does that mean in the day-to-day struggles of life, work, and marriage? I’m thankful this week for His grace. He’s bound my wandring heart to His...when I’ve been selfish and lacking in faith, He’s been there, letting me work it out to see His goodness.

Prone to wander, Lord I feel it.
Prone to leave the God I love.
Here’s my heart, Lord, take and seal it.
Seal it for Thy courts above.

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP