1.11.2008

2008

My fingers are on the keyboard and my brain is a jumble of all that I could write about. Life has been speeding by these past few weeks. Yesterday, during a conference presentation on finance and fundraising practices, I heard a quote from Ron Blue about the definition of Contentment. He said, "Contentment means having no regrets in the past, no fear of the future, and no envy in the present." I heard that definition echo in my head, and thought about what it means to me in my life. Contentment for me comes in waves, as I'm sure it does for many people.

I think sometimes contentment gets a bad rap. I hear it sometimes and think words like stale, stagnant, satisfied, resolved to the way things are. Or, sometimes I hear someone say "I'm content," and I think "Yeah right!" Either its denial of what's really going on in life, or its giving up hope that things could be better. But this is not contentment at all!!!

In reading the above definition again, I know that I deal with issues in all three of those areas. I'm feeling that this concept, true contentment, is my theme for 2008. It sums up all my other thoughts about goals and resolutions. Be better organized, live a healthier lifestyle, read the Bible more...etc, etc. They all go back to the level of contentment in my life. So, I'm going to bring the core issue to the Lord, and let Him deal with how it plays out in my life.

1 Timothy 6:6
"But godliness with contentment is great gain."

1 comments:

Anonymous,  12/1/08 2:35 PM  

I encourage you to read "Calm My Anxious Heart" by Linda Dillow. This book truly has changed my life recently. And I don't say that about books! It has helped teach me, through scripture, what real contentment means. Contentment through suffering and joy! Read it! You'll be so glad you did!

LOVE YOU SWEET FRIEND,
Christy Hutchins

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP